Thursday, December 11, 2008

Meta-meta-blogging

I'm amused but not surprised to see that I'm not the only Reedie who uses the label 'metablog' for posts pertaining to blogs. I'm a big fan of the prefix and concept meta-, at least when it is used in the epistemological sense of 'an X about X'. For example, the strongest section of my thesis was meta-ontology, i.e. an inventory of all the possible ways to inventory existence. Other fun metas are metalanguage (Tarski!), metafiction (David Foster Wallace!), metaphilosophy (Wittgenstein!), and metajoke:

A performative poet of Hibernia
Rhymed himself into a hernia
He became quite adept
At this practise, except
For the occasional non-sequitur.
~Tom Stoppard, Travesties
On the flip side of this, I hate it when people misuse the word ("that's so meta" which is probably intended to mean so postmodern; 'metaphysics' as 'beyond physics', a mistranslation that has soiled the word 'metaphysics' by making it synonymous with 'whatever mystical bullshit people make up'; etc). I am indifferent towards the prefix when it means simply 'after', as in the word 'metaphysics' as used in philosophy, which originated from a book by Aristotle which was so titled because it was the book that came after his book of physics, and has nothing to do with aliens or angels or auras or other laughable nonsense.

2 comments:

dorkas

i clearly remember the moment in my senior year of read when i finally figured out exactly what my thesis was about. it was immediately followed by me writing in my notebook, "IT'S SO META I WANT TO DIE."

Ben Colahan

According to "Greek Grammar" by Herbert Smyth, the definitive book of Greek Grammar, the word "meta" when used as a prefix has three main meanings, "among," "after (in terms of succession)," and "in quest of." Just thought you might like to know.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP