Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Et tu, Orson?

Andrew Sullivan has started the voting on the Daily Dish Awards in journalism (or lack thereof in supposed journalists). One nominee that stuck out was author Orson Scott Card:

Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn. Biological imperatives trump laws. American government cannot fight against marriage and hope to endure. If the Constitution is defined in such a way as to destroy the privileged position of marriage, it is that insane Constitution, not marriage, that will die.
I just reread the Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow series, and I have trouble reconciling the author of those books, who clearly understands the atheistic world view, with the author of the Mormon Times op-ed piece, who clearly has no comprehension of the fact that there could even be any view other than his own. I know better than most how much people can change, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. RIP old Orson. Shut up new Orson.

Update of sorts: It isn't as surprising when Pope Palpatine is as disgustingly bigoted:
Pope Benedict XVI has said that saving humanity from homosexual or transsexual behaviour is just as important as saving the rainforest from destruction.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP