Friday, April 23, 2010

Jeju Island Day 3 Part 3: An Elusive Crater



I then headed towards Sangumburi crater. I had hoped to stop by one of the folk villages as well, but realized that I wouldn't have time due to infrequent buses and fading daylight. I barely even made it to the crater since the bus transfer occurred in a town that did not have any signs concerning said transfer (not even in Korean), which is odd since there are hardly any bus routes on the whole island and it is a tourist area. I asked directions and was sent in a vague direction, then asked some high school girls who told me the wrong thing and I missed the bus by seconds. The girls felt bad (especially since I was visibly frustrated at having to wait for an hour, wasting precious sunlight) and decided to wait with me to make up for it. They showed me pictures of their boyfriends and asked me why I wasn't married. Eventually they went off to meet up with other friends and I was able to read my book in peace. When I finally got out to the crater it was minutes before the closing time listed in the Lonely Planet, and the attendants said that it was already closed. I gave them a pleading look. I was desperate to see this place and was regretting going to the lower priority waterfalls first because of the description of Sangumburi crater in the Lonely Planet, which says that the 100 meter deep crater was "a perfect spot for a bungy jump." The attendants took pity on me and let me run up to the edge to find that it was not the sheer pit that the guidebook described, but was rather a gradual bowl, typical of any crater. I think that the Lonely Planet made a cut and paste typo or said the bungy jump thing without ever having seen the place since the idea was absurd. I was a bit disappointed, though it was a scenic spot. On the way out I noticed that the bathrooms had pictures of lego people in knock kneed distress on them. It certainly got the message across without the need for words far better than the universal symbols for men's and women's rooms. I watched the sun set over the odd rock pile pillars in the parking lot and was a bit worried that the bus would not be able to see me in the dark as I waited for what felt like a very long time. I did eventually catch the bus to Jeju City, where I got a hotel room near the bus mall and went across the street to eat a nice meal of pheasant, a local delicacy. It was served by having it cooked on the table, as per usual Korean form, though on a portable gas stove instead of one built into the table. It was fairly good, though I felt like I spent more time picking out bones than actually eating.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP