Friday, April 23, 2010

Jeju Island Day 2 Part 6: Hexagonal Rock Formations



The sun was below the horizon but there was a little light remaining when I arrived at the Jusangjeolli hexagonal rock formations. I saw one section of the basalt towers down by a beach, then jogged up to the rest of the formations. When I went to pay I was informed that the area was closed, so I walked a bit away and jumped a low stone fence to enter the viewing area. In the twilight I saw waves crash against and over the basalt columns. As I left I bought a bag full of mandarin oranges for under a dollar. Citrus is plentiful on Jeju and the island is famous for its special breed of orange and for the orange candies, which our students are always kind enough to give to us when they come back from a trip to Jeju.

In the darkness I caught one final bus to Seogwipo, Jeju's second largest town. After booking a room in the backpacker's hostel and getting some dinner, I tried to make my way to a waterfall there which was supposed to be lit up, but I ended up on a path over the falls and so only heard the falls. Exhausted from my long day of racing the sun, I gave up on the falls and went to sleep.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP