Thursday, September 24, 2009

Other things I see on my bike rides

Besides car accidents and gardens, on the way to work I also see decorative flowers that are changed out for the season on a bridge over a canal:

... the same thing but with an elementary school in the background instead of the omnipresent identical apartments:... and sick people wandering the streets in their gowns just in front of one of several hospitals on the street with my school (sometimes with IVs, but in this case just with a cane).

Between my house and Alanna's I saw this mobile sock shop:

Trucks that convert into mobile stores are also everywhere. Clearly Korea either does not have or does not enforce zoning laws (not to mention noise ordinances; trucks often cruise neighborhoods with huge speakers attached to them and blare out recorded messages that I'm pretty sure translate to "buy the shit in the back of this truck!"). Trucks can also convert to be part of the setup for the tent restaurants that pop up along the river every night:
In the median of the street in front of one of the major universities in Daejeon (and Korea) is a new statue of Yi So-yeon, Korea's first astronaut. She is from Daejeon (the science center of Korea) and she spent two weeks on the international space station courtesy of the Russians.

I also saw a couple (literally two) fireworks above the university right across the street.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP