Wednesday, June 3, 2009

One hundred eleven

Of course this 111th blog post is hardly equivalent to an 111th birthday in terms of milestones, but I think I'll honor it in a vaguely Tolkien related manner by discussing fantasy novels and the like. I have been writing (in fits and starts) and (much more successfully) building the background for a fantasy novel or two. I have two separate stories that take place in the same world and which may eventually intertwine, but mostly what I really have done as of now is a lot of world-building. Towards that end (and because I love doing it) I have also been engaging in the much much dorkier pursuit of writing a Dungeons and Dragons campaign setting and campaign in the same world. This has done wonders for littering the land with characters, creatures, and history, as well as literally mapping out said land.

I hope I can get myself to do more writing while I'm here. I love the idea of writing fairly large works while teaching in various countries. I've actually done a fair amount considering that I haven't yet set any goals for myself concerning writing. I also have written some short stories since coming to Korea (as well as one from the week before I left Portland and one from the time I spent in Pasadena with my aunt and uncle). I am much more inclined to share these relatively (i.e. at all) polished stories, if anyone is interested, or willing to give me feedback.

2 comments:

Mark

Feel free to e-mail me anything you want feedback on.

Ben Colahan

Totally interested, especially now that I've been liberated from academia for the next 15 months.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP