Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Essay

The students that I have who are both older and more advanced English speakers have to write an essay every week (the younger ones just write journals). This month I nominated a girl named April for the journal/essay of the month. (An amusing side note: April chose her English name in the month of April, and the administrators clearly use 'find and replace' each month to make the attendance sheets, because in May her name on the attendance sheet was May, and now it's June. At least those are still girls' names...) Anyway, here is her unedited essay in response to my question "Should only boys play baseball and only girls play softball, or should boys and girls both play the same sports?"


Girls also can do sports. but many people think girls are weak. Ha! fiddlesticks! Many Women success until now.
Girls can do any sports. I'm girl, I can play soccer, table tennis, baseball, softball, tennis, etc. So, people can't say 'girls are weak!' in front of girls.
In the world, there are many strong girls or women. In Korea, like Mi-ran-Jang. She is a famous weight lifter. She picked up the very big dumbbell. (weight 112kg)
We must play sports, with boy. Girls and boys will mix. example, in one team, boys 2, girls 2. as I said, We must both play the same sports.
We will equality.
You have to throw away 'girls are weak' biased.


I have actually nominated the last three months' winners for journals/essays of the month. April's essay isn't nearly as good as the other two in terms of grammar, structure, or the essay's arguments (the other two kids write at about the level of someone six years older, and they're writing in their second language) but I liked the sentiment and the "Ha! Fiddlesticks!" line tickled me.

1 comments:

Elana

That is adorable! I love the fiddlesticks!!

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP