Friday, February 6, 2009

Driving in Korea

A woman in South Korea has failed her driver's license test 771 times so far. I cannot describe to you how terrifying the idea of her driving is considering the things I see licensed drivers do everyday on my walk to work. Unlike the signless narrow roads of Europe,tThe road infrastructure here is perfectly fine: there are multi-lane lined roads with speed limits, stoplights, crosswalks, etc, all of which the people here flat out ignore. Most cars at least slow down for stoplights, but taxis sure as hell don't, and everyone passes on the right or left and changes lanes without turn signals. I don't know how I've only seen one wreck so far. I have come to realize that right of way has little to do with the color of the light or the presence or absence of a crosswalk, but rather goes to whoever has the will to take it. The taxis are the real dangers. I have no idea how they make money since they are super cheap, don't take tips, and charge the same amount regardless of the number of passengers. I guess they make up for it by going so quickly and recklessly. Riding in cabs is not for the feint of heart: there are no seat belts in the back, and I've been in a cab that was going over 140km/h in city, running lights, weaving through traffic, etc.

Also, people will park anywhere that isn't cordoned off by cement pillars. The sidewalk, blocking building entrances, whatever. They would drive on the sidewalk too if not for the pillars. Yet another problem with too many people in such a tiny area. I have mixed feelings about that: I love the idea of urban growth boundaries because I love untamed areas, but I hate the smog, inevitable rows of identical tower apartments, and lack of space that results from this level of population density.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP