Friday, November 7, 2008

Plans


I just mailed my signed contract to a school in Daejeon,
South Korea. I will be teaching English to small children for at least a year. I will be leaving the States sometime in late December, and will start teaching on January 5th. Afterward, I will explore Asia until I run out of money. This latter portion of the trip will make this blog's title far more relevant, as I plan to travel in the manner that I did in Europe with my fellow European Hobos.

My trip strikes me as precisely the sort of situation where livejournals actually make sense, since a lot of people have asked me for frequent updates on my travels (and for confirmation that I am still alive despite my travels). However, I have rather negative associations and attitudes toward livejournal proper, so I will here--in addition to docuementing my journey--ramble on about US and international politics, philosophy, religion, science, and whatever random things that I think are awesome or otherwise worth talking about. I envision this blog as a mixture of essays and journal entries, though of course all of that is subject to what I end up doing once I actually leave.

I considered having this blog contain posts only be written by Reed College Philosophy Majors who graduated in 2007 and are teaching English in Korea (after all, there will hopefully be three of us). Upon further reflection, though, I want to be much more inclusive in who posts, largely because I am deeply homesick. During the last two months I have missed Portland and my Reedie friends far more than everything else I have ever missed at any point in my life combined. So please write to let me know what you are up to, what crazy thoughts you're having, what amazing art you are creating/experiencing, etc.

3 comments:

Eliot

Is that a picture from the Batman movie?

Morgan

What I've been up to:

1) www.thefiniteworld.com (offical launch=11/10/08, but you can look preview it now. Feedback is welcome)

2) Trying to find a job. And failing. Over and over.

3) Leisure activities to erase the pain of #2.

Landon

To Eliot: yes, yes it is.

To Morgan (and Mark): the website has absolutely gorgeous pictures. The layout looks good so far, too. I've already seen the content on EWE, but I liked it then too.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP