Saturday, November 22, 2008

Dubai is the Future

The party for the most recent opening for a hotel in Dubai was visible from space (I think this term has to be considered short-hand for 'visible from space with the naked eye', given that with Google maps my backyard is visible from space). This hotel is far from my favorite project in Dubai. In fact, the whole building islands in the shape of palm trees and continents as foundations for luxury hotels thing strikes me as Las Vegas-level gaudy and tacky. However, the architecture there is unbelievably amazing. I am very seriously considering architecture school when (if) I get back to the states. Of course, a lot could change between now and that point. As things stand, though, these planned buildings make me salivate (I can't wait to see buildings that belong on the cover of sci-fi novels in real life):

(I'm willing to forgive Donald Trump for his hair and his show if he actually builds this newest Trump Tower [above].)






The picture above shows the three parts of an underwater luxury hotel.

This last one is my favorite. The building will contain hidden wind turbines, which not only power the building and the neighboring buildings, but will also provide the energy for it to be a kinetic sculpture. Each floor is build disconnected to the others and around a central axis, so each floor can spin, creating the cool effects seen above. It's called dynamic architecture, and I hope that Dubai actually ends up making it but also that the idea is utilized in major cities around the world.

1 comments:

Mark

Here is another cool middle-eastern project I found:

Ecocity Projects Planned for Dubai and Qatar

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP