Thursday, July 24, 2014

Japan Day 7, Part 2: Kofuku-ji Pagoda and Deer

I retraced my steps, and this time paid more attention to the buildings than the deer. Apparently there were once 175 buildings in this temple complex, but only a few survive to the present. Those remaining are pretty awesome, though. 


I'm used to everything being anthopomorphized and made cartoonish in East Asia, so the deer messenger of the gods getting that treatment wasn't surprising. I wasn't prepared for the pose, though.


Okay, I didn't entirely ignore the deer on my second pass through the area.



To be fair, the temple didn't ignore the deer either.


Kofuku-ji's pagoda is the second tallest in Japan, mere inches shorter than the one at To-ji.



0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP