Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Japan Day 4, Part 3: The graves of the abandoned at Adashino Nembutsu-ji

I was proud of myself for navigating my way to the far West hills by means of the tiny and disjointed Lonely Planet maps, which were intended for people using buses, trains, or taxis to get to the further flung sites. I made better time than I had anticipated, though I lost some of that advantage on the last slog up the steep hill to Adashino Nembutsu-ji. 


The temple had an interesting observatory...


... but it's main reason for existing was as a monument to those so poor and alone as to be abandoned upon their death. Those who could not afford graves elsewhere or had no one to see to their burial had their bones placed here. 






As per Eurasian Hobo tradition, I took a self-portrait in the graveyard. 




There is a yearly memorial service for the forgotten dead, but on this day it was empty of the living, 
other than me.


Upon leaving Adashino Nembutsu-ji, I saw a (relatively) large cicada back among the tiny cluster of buildings where I had parked my bicycle. 


In the nearby hills sat the small temple of Gio-ji. It was so secluded that I was fairly certain for a little while that I had taken a wrong turn. 


The moss in the gardens seemed to soak in all sound, leaving only the coolness of the shade and the pleasant view of the sculpted gardens.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP