Thursday, July 17, 2014

Japan Day 5, Part 6: Kyoto Station

That evening I returned my bicycle and headed to Kyoto Station for dinner. In my rush to get out and see the ancient sites, I hadn't paid any attention to the train station that brought me to the city. Once I went back, though, I realized that it is an impressive building. For one thing, its enormous. The huge central staircase was used as benches for many people wanting to chat or read.



At the top I enjoyed view from the rooftop terrace, which itself is quite people friendly with lots of benches and greenery. I like that the station was turned into more of a public space than necessary.


I reserved a spot for dinner at a restaurant serving Kyoto beef, which is raised and served in the same style as the more famous Kobe beef. For $60 I was served slivers of marbled loin and marbled chuck. Serving was a very involved process: they greased a pan with a cube of fat, sprinkled on salt, briefly applied the beef, added marinade and natural juices, flipped the beef, and then transferred it to my plate. There was also rice and vegetables. Desert was pineapple, melon, and grapes. The beef was melt in your mouth delicious. It didn't ruin beef for me, and may not even (quite) be the best beef I've ever eaten, but it was damned good. Also, I sat at a counter along the windows, which had a fantastic view of the city.


After dinner, I went up to the twelfth floor terrace to watch the sunset. 


0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP