Thursday, December 29, 2011

Carreg Cennen Castle and Onward

In the morning I took a bus out to Llandeilo. From there it was a three mile walk to Carreg Cennen castle. Along the way I saw dozens of dead frogs on a small stretch of the road and dozens more splotches that may have once been frogs. I have no idea what happened to cause that. The castle was impressive, even from a distance, overlooking the fields from its high bluff. 




Inside the ruins, a small passage lead to natural limestone tunnels, which contain a well. 


Had I known that there would be no one around for miles, that the castle is left unfenced and unlocked, and that these tunnels existed I would have slept here. The caverns would be excellent shelter from the elements.




Once I had my fill of looking down the limestone cliffs over the fields, I walked back to town, then took a bus to Carmarthan. I had a layover there before the train went through, and so I wandered the shopping streets and visited the very ruined castle in town. From there I went on by train and bus to St. Davids. 

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP