Friday, June 20, 2014

Japan Day 3, Part 2: Daitoku-ji Temple Complex and Gated Community

On the bike ride between sights I noticed several circling eagles.


Daitoku-ji is a walled community, but large sections of it are open to the public. It was hard to believe that the peaceful wooden houses that looked like an outdoor museum were in fact private houses. 


There were numerous temples and zen gardens scattered throughout the maze of streets. 





I particularly liked Daisen Garden. It was small but beautiful. I appreciated the zen aspect outlined in a guide pamphlet, and loved the windows between sections of the bonsai and rock configurations. It was truly peaceful. Also, there were tiny lizards. 




The legendary swordsman Musashi was supposed to have trained in Daitoku-ji for a while, and I can see the appeal. While in Korea I read a historical fiction account of Musashi's life, and I enjoyed walking in the footsteps of a swordmaster who was determined to learn everything about swordsmanship by studying everyone. If I recall correctly, he went to Daitoku-ji to study with a flower arranger because he had so admired the perfect cut of the stems of the flowers. 

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP