Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Japan Day 3, Part 1: Jingo-ji Temple with Bike Ride and Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit

I was up before six so that I could bike to the far North end of Kyoto before the temples all opened. I planned to start with the farthest away sections and work my way back towards my hostel for as long as the sites were open. I had a thoroughly pleasant bicycle ride up the river, during which I saw numerous cranes and herons, and even had to go out of my way to avoid a turtle. 




After forty minutes of cycling, I stopped to eat the lunch box breakfast I had purchased from a Circle K convenience store before leaving. I was surprised at how good it was, even after having been told by my Korean coworkers that Japanese convenience stores were some of their favorite meals in Japan. 


A short ride further upriver and I arrived at Jingo-ji. Outside the gates was a whimsical collection of sculptures, from a twenty-sided kaleidoscope... 








... to a paper dragon or phoenix that looked a lot like the Rebel Alliance's symbol. 


I arrived well before the buildings opened, but I was able to walk around the grounds. A path along and over a small stream lead to the initial structures.


The entrance to the main hall was one of the most aesthetically pleasing views I had in Japan. The gardens, architecture, and colors all worked well together. 


The only other tourists there were happy to take my picture.



I found the way the moss grew on the wooden shingles of a small shrine quite beautiful.



Other buildings also had moss and fern cultivation, along with that old wood exterior that I love. 



Across the street was a building that housed some interesting armor and found wood sculpture.



I retrieved my bike and took off for the an ancient walled community.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP