Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Cambodia Day 3, Part 1: Breakfast in the Butterfly Garden and hiking up Pinom Bakeng


On my second attempt I managed to actually eat at the Butterfly Garden while it was open. The tables were at a terrace in a mesh enclosed space filled with flowers and butterflies.



However, the ambiance was diminished by the work of the restaurant's front gate with a drill and blowtorch, so I did not linger.

I couldn't help but pause on my bicycle ride as I passed Angkor and saw its reflection in its moat in the morning light. 


The original stairs to Pinom Bakeng, straight up the steep tall hill overlooking Angkor Wat, were overgrown to the point where even I thought they were impassable. Instead I took the pedestrian and elephant path, though I opted not to hire an elephant to carry me up. Along the winding way, the small temple of Baksel Chamrong was visible through the dense plant growth. 


I expected Pinom Bakeng to be of a similar size but with a better view. Instead, a huge stone and brick structure made the already tall hill significantly taller. 


Small towers stood on each level of the ziggurat along both sides of the stairs to the top. Each tower had an open doorway and enough space to fit one person, or a small shrine. 


A large stone platform at the apex had a spire on each corner. Between them were views of distant temples tall enough to peak through the jungle. 



Exiting down the another side, I could see where the stairs would have ended if they weren't so overgrown for most of the trek up the hill. 


While walking back down, I decided to document my current appearance, complete with a newly acquired hat to protect my poor sunburned neck. 


I still looked more like a tourist than Indiana Jones. I'll have to work on that. 

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP