Saturday, April 21, 2012

Canterbury

I took a comparatively lazy day for once while in Canterbury. In the international house where I'd couchsurfed, I talked with a Polish couple over breakfast. We mostly discussed the recent plane crash that had killed the Polish president and 95 others the day before. 

I started my tour of the city by walking along part of the old wall and viewing its impressive gates.


I was mostly in Canterbury to see three religious buildings that compose the Caterbury World Heritage site. The first was St. Martins, which is historically important as the oldest parish church in Britain in continuous use. It was founded nearly 1500 years ago, and interesting because of that, but despite medieval updates it wasn't much to look at. In fact, I walked right past it and on for an extra kilometer before realizing I'd missed gone too far.

Next up was the ruins of St. Augustine's Abbey. An excellent audio tour discussed the architectural and historical significance of the site as abbey and royal palace. 




The crowning jewel was, of course, Canterbury cathedral, the center of British Christiandom and a major site of pilgrimage. 





A modern artwork commemorates the murder of Archbishop Thomas Becket that occurred here. 


The Normans knew the secret to keeping people subdued with a sense of awe: high ceilings.





The gardens contain ruins.



The grounds also connect with the prep academy King's School, which has an attached Norman staircase nearly a thousand years old. 


I had a pleasant stroll through the rest of the city and an excellent Lebanese buffet before striding onward.


After the leisurely tour, I boarded a train to London.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP