Monday, March 1, 2010

Chuseok vacation day 5 part 1: Bongjeongsa temple


On Monday I got up at five, dunked myself in the sauna's baths to wake up and then went out to catch a bus at six. At the bus stop a man was greatly concerned for me because I was wearing shorts (I had plenty of warm clothes, I just wasn't feeling cold yet). He actually took my hands in his and rubbed them to keep them warm and crouched close to me to keep me warm. In nearly any other country I would assume he was getting close because he was trying to rob me (and I checked my wallet when he left anyway) but he really was just concerned about my well being.

I did manage to get out to Bongjeongsa, a temple complex that includes a Shilla period building that is the oldest wooden structure in Korea. I jogged through most of the complex since I wanted to catch the same bus back to Andong rather than being there for hours. I got back just as the driver was about to pull away. I didn't really mind rushing since there wasn't too much to see. Unsurprisingly, the oldest buildings aren't the most impressive, and this one was so recently restored that it didn't look all that old.

2 comments:

Elana

That story reminds me of the man in Brussels who tried to swindle you with that weird handshake and then very obviously took your wallet.

Great to read about your adventures, Landon! The only traveling I've been doing these days is to Arizona, and while I'm quite fond of my Arizona host, Phoenix itself isn't quite as engaging as one might hope :)

Landon

The Brussels thing was one of the main reasons I am always so suspicious, but in this case it was fine.

Next time you're in AZ you two should get out of the water-gluttonous hell-hole that is Phoenix and get out to some of the amazing national parks in the area. I hope you are enjoying the Bay area and still exploring there.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP